Wednesday, July 18, 2012

long time no blog

Well, really there isn't but one new quilt made other than my civil war repro minis...and I didnt take pictures of those, so they will have to be photographed and posted later.
I think I may be able to post more coming soon because I will not be working everyday.  Yes, we finally are at the wrap up of the gigantic shift in our lives.  Last June, Doug started teaching at the new dental school in South Jordan Utah called College of Dental Medicine at Roseman University of Health Sciences. Whoa, I think that used up about 4 minutes of my life, just typing it.  Anyway, he is a Prosthodontist there and teaches fixed and removable and restorative dental procedures to the students.  But we still have a private practice down here in Henderson, and when he took the job up there, we still had 1 child at home who was going to be a senior, so I stayed here in H town, he went to work in South Jordan, and came down every other week to see his patients.  I ran the practice for the past year, and stayed with Miriam.  We also needed to get a home up there, and we decided to rent our home here.  So I went back and forth a few times so that we could find a house, pick how we wanted it built out, and then sign papers and get some furniture.  Im not gonna lie and say it was no big deal, because it has been a big deal.  Its been very hard on all of us, but these past few months have really been hard.  I have felt that I was not available for my family sometimes when i needed to be, but I know everyone of them understood the pressure I was under trying to get our house, cleaned up, find a renter, get Mim to the end of school and done with graduation, go see our daughter in Seattle so I could be there when they had their first baby boy (oh hes so cute I could die! and there will be pics of him too), go to Italy to visit for two weeks with our daughter before coming home from her mission for the church (I know that doesnt sound bad, and believe me it wasnt, but it was right at the end of miriam's senior year and just weeks before the renter in our little house had to be out, and only 2 months to get our stuff packed and the house clean, and Im the adult who is at home to supervise so i was pretty absent for that time), and on top of that our missionary brought home a friend from Italy who is staying with us until the end of august...not that she is difficult, but I feel bad that we aren't doing the sights up with her, but you know, I gotta pack and clean and work and what not....ok this is a long way to say that I haven't made quilts for months.  Months, I tell you! In the first half of this year,  I made 2 real quilts.  THATS ALL!! You saw the one I made for baby Donovan, it was the sparkle stars quilt from earlier blogs...which right now would be a great time to insert a picture of that cute little nipper if i can remember how to do it!


and here is one of him on the quilt


The only other quilt I worked on was the orange and blue one.  I had no reason to make it, i just wanted to get something done! Luckily, I liked it, so i finished it.... and when we were in Italy, we had a fabulous host, who was so wonderful and kind, that I decided this would be a good gift to send back to him to show just a smidge of our gratitude for his generousity.  He was so kind and attentive to us, and when our plans got messed up and we ended up staying at his house 2 extra days, he was beyond kind and happy to have us.  That was so fun.  Too bad it takes so long to get there I would visit all the time if I could!




So thats kind of a round about update of us, soon I will be traveling myself from Utah to Nevada on a monthly basis-im still the office manager and Doug still sees patients but we are slowly removing ourselves over the next 5 years while our associate purchases the practice. Our daughter who graduated from high school is going to college in 3 weeks at SUU in Utah, and we will be empty nesters with a lot of unpacking to do, and finishing a basement so I can get me a sewing room again and Doug can have a man cave!
Hopefully we will have a bit of a normal life by say Thanksgiving, and maybe I can get some more quilts made...its been a long dry spell!

ps, here are some blocks from probably about 1994 that I have loved forever, but have not had the inclination to put together because I thought I have to do them on point and Im tired of on point settings so i put it off... but i decided it looks good straight set so here it is all laid out! Cant wait to put it together!

3 comments:

  1. I love that orange and blue quilt! I'm planning on making a quilt with those colors (Boise State colors) for Derek for Christmas. And of course Donovan is the cutest little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, baby D is just too darn cute!! As always, I adore your quilts; and am so lucky to have one made by you. Hope things settle down for you quickly and nicely and maybe you'll come to Oregon ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the orange quilt! I have no idea where you even found the time to do that. You are amazing and I seriously hope things calm down a bit over the next few months. You and Doug really deserve it.

    ReplyDelete