Saturday, July 27, 2013

What I'm working on....

I have had lots going on for the past few weeks- and its been crazy but so worth it.  Since last I wrote, I've been busy preparing for our church's young women camp.  Its for ages 12-18 and this year I am the young women's camp director.  It's a coveted calling, to be sure! But I had no idea how hard it was to do on my own.  I have worked in yw camp for probably 10 years now, but this year I was the only leader and we have about 40 people going.  Thank goodness for the help and support I got from the yw leaders and my husband--he is coming along to be the camp cook and we all know what an awesome cookout champ he is!!
Here is some of the prep we are doing--














Our equipment being prepared to be loaded into our trailer


                                                                                                                                                                                              Some of the food for camp that's in my freezer..


here are some of the girls and leaders at our tie dye t shirt party-these of course are not the shirts...but there will be pictures following!

...Every now and then I had to have the president of the yw tell me, "its going to be great! don't worry!" Usually I'm pretty chill, but I keep freaking myself out thinking "I'm in charge of the fun for 40 people-and what if camp isn't fun?!?!?" Now we are down to the wire, and all I can do is all I can do.  Camp is next week, so hopefully I will have a good report when I come back!
We had a visit from 2 of the 3 grand-babies for 1 week. Of course their parents were with them...Bill and Jolena came out here for a family reunion on her side and to pick up Bill's jeep that he left here since last December.  They drove it home to South Carolina over a period of 3 days.  They are back safe and sound in Clemson, and I'm sure that all involved are happy to be home!
Here are a few pictures of the babies- I wanted to load a movie of Spencer after I gave him the Lorax quilt I mentioned in the previous blog, but I couldnt figure out how to do it, but believe me, he was happy-all he could do was dance all over the quilt! It was so adorable!



Spencer (and his dad) enjoyed the bubbles that Aunt Megan brought for him!

In the meantime, quilt-wise, I did finish the quilt for my sister to give as a gift to one of the doctors she works with:
                                                        its pretty big for a baby quilt....
                                                    cute dinosaur quilting!
my typical flannel back


I made a pillow out of a test block:

Which led to this quilt idea and I started tossing this together:

I saw a block very similar to this on someone's blog or on pinterest and loved it so I want to make a quilt with 9 blocks and these are some of the colors I want to put in it with a dark brown background:



And when Hillary was here a few weeks ago after returning from Italy, we talked about making a quilt of grays, reds and turquoises- here is the stash pull for that:
Its going to be hexagons.
Finally, the last two tidbits of news: first the boring one--I have been offered a job at the dental school as a team coordinator for the students-basically what I will do is what I do for our private practice-manage the patient flow and make sure that appointments are made to keep each student up to date meeting requirements for graduating from dental school, overseeing collection of money, just general office stuff. I accepted the job and start the day after I get home from YW camp! I hope I'm not too exhausted!
And the best tidbit of news of all: Vanessa is expecting a new baby in January! that means Donovan is going to have a baby sister or brother! We are all excited for the news!
 That's it for now except here is a little picture of our Miriam with her new missionary companion-
                                                She loves McAllen Texas Spanish mission!
until next time....ciao!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love the circle blocks. Can't wait to see the finished quilt! And the turquoise, gray, and red quilt will look lovely! In fact, I love it so much I may have to use that color combo to create a card :) Also yay for all the little ones!

    ReplyDelete